While it’s important to keep your car washed and waxed to keep it clean looking, it’s also important to keep your car cleaned under the hood. Cleaning your Car’s Battery Terminals can help keep your Car Battery running better and longer. Car Battery Terminals that become overly dirty or corroded can keep your car from getting a proper charge that it needs to stay in working condition. If you have an old battery or a mechanical failing, that’s probably going to require intervention from an automotive specialist. But if the problem is simply that the terminals on your battery need to be cleaned, that’s something you can do yourself with a few tips from our local trusted expert mechanics at Aamco of Keller.
Keep your Car’s Battery Terminals Clean
- First and foremost, turn off your engine. While cleaning the terminals is a simple DIY project, there is still a slight risk of injury. You can avert this risk simply by making sure you have the engine turned off while you work.
- Next, loosen the nut holding your negative cable in place; you’ll likely need a wrench for this. Detach the cable from the post. Then, follow the same steps with the positive cable.
- Take just a moment to visually inspect your car battery. Specifically look for any fissures or cracks. If you see any, that means there’s a problem with your car battery that you probably won’t be able to fix on your own; more likely than not, you’re looking at the need for a battery replacement.
- You’ll also want to look at the cables and clamps themselves. Again, what you’re looking for is very obvious evidence of wear and tear. If your cables or clamps have big rips or tears, you’ll probably need to have them replaced. These things really can’t be mended.
- Assuming you don’t see any of these obvious signs of wear and tear, you’ll want to mix your cleaning solution—one tablespoon of baking soda into one cup of water. Mix ‘em up thoroughly, then dip an old toothbrush into the mixture.
- Use the toothbrush to scrub away any signs of corrosion you see on your battery terminals. Don’t be afraid to really scour thoroughly to get things squeaky clean. You may have to soak your toothbrush in the baking soda mixture a couple of times as you keep scrubbing away.
- When you finish, use a spray bottle with cool water to rinse off any residue. It is imperative to make sure all baking soda and corrosion is washed away. Then, use an old rag or towel to pat the battery and clamps completely dry.
- Use a little bit of petroleum jelly to lubricate the terminals.
- Reattach the cables to their correct terminals.
That’s the basic guide to cleaning your battery terminals—but here’s an alternate approach: If you’re on the go and don’t have access to the above supplies, see if you can find a Coca-Cola or a Pepsi somewhere, and pour it over the terminals. Let it sit for two or three minutes, then rinse your battery clean with cool water. Note: You’ll want to follow the same basic safety steps we outlined above, including turning off your engine and detaching the cables. It’s always recommended that any car maintenance be done by a qualified expert. If you have questions about cleaning your car’s battery or additional auto repair questions give Aamco of Keller a call today.
Aamco of Keller Your Local Car Battery Experts
Keeping you and your family safely on the road is important to us at AAMCO Keller. If you believe you’re facing potential issues with your car’s battery or electrical system, let one of our expert AAMCO Keller technicians correctly diagnose your vehicles issue. Stop into our shop located at 1485 S. Main St., Keller, TX 76248 or contact us today for an appointment.
Have your car battery and car electrical system inspected by the locally trusted experts at AAMCO of Keller. Call us today at (817) 431-0009 or schedule your appointment online now.
AAMCO Of Keller, TX
AAMCO Transmissions of Keller our technicians are the best trained in the industry with not only 20 years experience on new cars but also over 50 years experience in the automotive industry. Our goal is not only to provide the best product in the industry but also the best customer service available. A recent survey showed that over 95% of cars serviced with major repairs at AAMCO are still in service with many reaching the 100,000 mile range without failure.
At AAMCO of Keller we believe that getting the best value for your dollar is the most important part of any repair. That is why all of our services come with a minimum of a one year warranty and not the typical 90 days provided by most repair shops. We use only the highest quality parts available.
AAMCO of Keller is a full-service auto repair and preventive maintenance center. We are automatic and manual transmission experts. We provide transmission service and maintenance as well as transmission flush & filter service. We are conveniently located for your service and maintenance needs and we are qualified to repair and service all domestic and imported cars, trucks, and SUV’s using parts that are equal to or exceed the standards of those parts originally used by the manufacturers. We are definitely the cost-effective alternative to car dealership servicing for all scheduled maintenance of your personal or company auto, pickup or truck. Regardless of where it was built, we will service your car or truck and still maintain the manufacturer’s warranty. We honor most extended warranties.
AAMCO of Keller is independently owned and operated. We pride ourselves on getting the services or repairs on your auto right the first time by our highly qualified service technicians. So drop your auto, SUV, or truck off today and allow us to provide you with excellent service. We look forward to servicing your vehicle.